When I think back to this period of funemployment it will be a lot of depressing and stressful memories, but also some joyous ones. Some of the best moments were trail runs I took in the day. These runs let me explore SF and surrounds without the madding crowds. I really feel like I got to know the area and get in touch w/ nature. And push my physical limits. I have big calf muscles for the first time ever!
Here are some of my favorite memories.
1. Seeing the whales, Mussel Rock State Park
Man it was such a beautiful day, hard to describe in words. The sun was out and the air was clear and it felt like you could see a million miles in every direction. The ocean glimmered and as I stood on the cliffs overlooking the beach I felt like I could take it all in with a single glance. Then I saw whales spouting. I thought at first it was a trick of my eye.
But using Andy's "pay attention to the periphery" philosophy I scanned back and forth until I saw them again. The ocean was vast but I could see it all and sure enough in the distance on my left I saw whales!! They did a bunch of behaviors documented on Wikipedia. Preening, blow-holing, ... prancing...
2. The moment when it was raining in the damp green forest and I was parched, and I sat stoned watching the mist everywhere and eventually stood up and tried to catch dripping drops from the redwood branches high above in my mouth. It was hard. The drops came down with surprising force. The forest was so vivid and beautiful in that moment and it was just me alone experiencing it
3. Falling out of a tree, stoned (Mt Tam?)
Don't climb trees stoned. Or do, I'm not your mother
4. Seeing all the animals of the trails. A hawk tracing circles in the sky. Scary antelope w/ big horns. Unsettlingly unskittish deer. A fox. Something else I forget what.
5. Looking down at the clouds, Montara North Peak
6. Land's End / Batteries to Bluffs / it's all a blur
7. Running cross GG and back, at a good clip! I seriously got to know GG park. Have you been to the:
- archery range
- golf course
- home where the buffalo range
- various lakes (I think at least 3?)
- botanical garden
- polo field
- fly fishing pond
Also got caught in Hardly Strictly Bluegrass which you'd think would be awesome but I hate the madding crowds. Maddening crowds?
8. Exploring Presidio in 2 parts. Lover's Lane is not all that. Presidio is not a park proper. I hate golf courses which on Google Maps look exactly the same as national parks
9. Various Redwood Gulches. Open spaces they're all a blur
10. too many hills. why do i always find myself climbing stairs. while cursing. i always curse.
11. running too fast downhill (you can go so fast if you're willing to risk injury)
12. mastering glen park
13. exploring graffiti in bayview park.
14. finally exploring the monument near candlestick park. the 13 (?) mile walk w/ raph was super fun.
15. interior green belt, mt davidson, sutro preserve, twin peaks. sf hill bagging
16. mastering philosopher's way (including a 3k date!)
17. fear at mt. diablo and driving home on 0 gas
18. running a mile on the track 6:22 ish?
19. open mic comedy in the woods
20. echoing shots from the shooting range at chabot.
21. trail running w/ the kids
22. mt davidson - note that google maps is useless for running. i frequently would be in an unmarked green space on the map with no trails listed on the screen, when clearly i was on a trail. they just don't do orienteering. it would be cool to have a version w/ walking running paths. IS THERE AN APP FOR THAT.
wide open spaces