My run took me along the nicely developing Mission Creek canal/river thingie. There's an empty brand new tennis court and houseboats and a beautiful green path all the way from 7th to the ballpark. True, mission creek (name of which I think I'm getting right, though maybe it's Mission Bay or something) is a sewage overflow spot, which means 4-5 times a year when the sewers overflow they dump excess waste into it. So it's also known as "shit creek." But the rest of the time it's nice
Andy's sister & her husband just bought a houseboat on the creek actually. Need to go visit them. They dispelled my fantasy of houseboat as a ready-to-jet sailboat and described it as more of a barge-- i.e. floating slab tied to the dock. But still! Houseboat!
Anyway as I ran these were the 5 senses experienced:
1) SIGHT - everything just described. I took some photos with my crap iphone camera, maybe will photostitch them later. Things the iphone needs--- auto-stabilization of shaky camera footage (like say that taken while jogging along a canal) -- much better resolution photos, like triple the megapixels-- automatic panorama mode like my canon has-- that's about it. SIGHT is too easy cos camera (static/video) more or less conveys the essence (though photos/videos fail to convey the scale of a place; and human vision is nicely 360 in a way even imax doesn't match)
a hole opened in the sky, like a tunnel to g_d
2) SMELL - freshly cut grass - which I thought everybody liked but then Angi said she hates it. Also the reek of human sweat wafting off me as I type this, man you know you smell bad when you can smell your own B.O.
3) TASTE - umm none to speak of just the taste of one's own mouth, and I had a pink lady earlier, no honeycrisps were there at whole foods, also got a cameo, that's new to me. where are the exotic apples? sell me one for too much $
4) TOUCH - it was a mild run so not too much heart pounding ness. the freshly cut grass had a particular feel under my feet; also the sensation of running shoes that either don't fit right or are worn out-- I'm pretty sure mine need to be replaced but how can you tell? at the shoe store they always tell me to lace them using some complicated behind the heel triple loop thing but come on, I'm not gonna do that! (by the way, FYI-- you're probably tying your shoes wrong)
5) HEARING - oh yeah, I listened to this great RA mix as I ran, highly recommend it -- RS.253 - Adam Marshall What does that mean though? You're probably not even going to bother checking it out. Well at the very least, subscribe via itunes to the podcast. I guess I wouldn't download something that the person didn't even bother describing. It's techno? But not pounding BOOM BOOM BOOM techno. Just good electronic music, I don't really know how to put it. How about this, listen to it while running or driving fast and if you don't enjoy it I'll personally apologize. [offer void if you are old or only into boring guitar music]
6) PROPRIOCEPTION - i think this is the sense of where your limbs are in space. mine were flailing in the general area of my body. I read about this ultramarathon runner who had perfect stride & perfect landing on his feet-- didn't pronate, didn't do the opposite. I suspect I am not cut out for ultramarathoning. It's a sickness not a sport
7) ESP - come off it what rubbish. though, if science proves me wrong, I'll be willing to apologize (or at least think contrite thoughts, which you can detect via iphone-esp app)
I came back from running but my promised solitude was shattered. Long boring story but anyway what can you do. Izzy just likes to be included in whatever I'm doing, which was fine when I took down the trash but not so much when I'm using power tools. [to be continued]
seen on the way back... good placement no?
next - pt. 6