- did some work today, cleaned it up, unpacked all the chairs. Large & exotic plants abound. It needs sweeping, and I have to figure out what to do with the patio table's huge umbrella, which is tilted at a disturbing angle and tied shut. I tried undoing the knot holding it together, but it was the kind of complicated unbudging knot you associate with sailors and sailboats. Every time I yanked on it, it just got tighter.
Go back with a hacksaw
Plant some seeds
- take a picture every day, time-lapse photo of flowers blooming
- time-lapse animated gifs = example of oblique strategy: "Slow preparation, fast execution"
Register at Macy's
- not sure why I'm dreading this-- because it's Macy's? Nevertheless, I bet we'll have fun once we get there. Recently I had a Forrest Gump style epiphany: You need the right tools for the job. It's true! It got me thinking about all the tasks and activities I'd enjoy more given the proper tools. e.g. cooking-- whenever I cook, I'm always annoyed by my inability to effortlessly slice and dice carrots, onions, tomatoes, pennies, etc. It would be so much more fun with sharp knives! Granted, there are those who would argue Az. and I should never be allowed to posess sharp knives. But I think the newfound joy of cooking is worth a few trips to ER. Oh yeah,
Get knives sharpened
- we have a "2-slot" "manual" knife sharpener that "sucks." My brother says manual sharpeners are a waste of time, and you have to have your knives sharpened by a professional. Until recently I would have rated the odds of us ever actually doing this as low, but yesterday, the weirdest thing happened. I was biking home from Bi-Rite, and a store I'd never noticed before caught my eye. I looked closer, and lo and behold, it was a knife-sharpening shop! Right across the street. Was it new? Had it always been there and I just never saw it? The store was closed; by appointment only. An award from SF Weekly's "Best of SF" was taped to the window. "Best Knife Sharpening Store." Were there other knife sharpening stores in San Francisco? It seemed possible that this was the only one, making SF Weekly award somewhat less impressive (though still technically accurate.)
- it's too COLD to keep writing a todo list. So San Francisco. The sun lured me out, then promptly disappeared, leaving chill winds in its wake. I'm writing from my backyard patio, on a laptop I brought back from the dead. Put in a new wireless card & battery, secured my wireless network, installed Firefox... it's the computer nerd equivalent of working on your car. Not as dissimilar as you'd imagine.. Zen and the Art of PC Maintenance... COLD
Go inside for real